Online Journalist – One-year term
Work Status: Temporary one-year term
Location: Burnaby, BC
About the Role:
Global News is currently seeking temporary one-year term Online Journalist to join its dynamic team. This position reports to the BC Online Supervisor at Globalnews.ca. The successful candidate will be required to work a variety of shifts, writing local and network content, copy editing as well as editing and uploading video for all platforms. The successful candidate will be expected to assist the online supervisor and management team in reaching traffic goals and increasing user engagement. This position will be based at Global BC in Burnaby.
The following is an outline of some of the primary functions and responsibilities for this position:
- Write compelling, original story posts for Globalnews.ca & embed video and audio
- Pitch and create compelling multi-media web content and share to social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
- Ability to use SnappyTV to cut and upload video to social platforms and coordinate with national team for wider sharing opportunities
- Pitch, produce and deliver on-air hits if required
- Working with the online teams, assist local editors/assignment desk editors in managing incoming feeds, scheduling and setting up live streams as required
- Copy edit stories from online journalists in BC and across Canada as required
- Work directly with the Global BC and Global Okanagan teams to coordinate market-leading news coverage
- Liaise with various digital and broadcast teams, including web producers, producers, assignment editors, anchors, reporters and other news professionals to facilitate the creation of unique online content
- Work with digital media to explore new methods of converging online, radio and TV content to create a seamless experience for our audience
- Utilize tools, such as photo databases (CP/AP), wire news service interfaces (ENPS), interactive polling software (Polldaddy), among others
- Stay informed of local and national news
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- An expertise in and passion for online journalism
- College or university degree (or equivalent experience) in journalism, new media, or communications
- Three years of experience in writing online content in a major market newsroom
- Excellent writing, copy editing and editing skills; thorough knowledge of CP style
- Experience in managing and delivering multiple projects to deadline
- Must have demonstrated experience using mobile devices on a daily basis as well as working knowledge of new media tools and technologies (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Snapchat, etc.) and related applications
- Ability to handle the demands and pressure of multiple online and broadcast deadlines
- Experience in updating online and broadcast content with a content management system. WordPress is an asset.
- A familiarity with using live streaming hardware (Elemental, Spinnaker) and applications – Facebook Live, SnappyTV
- Strong working knowledge of digital production and promotion techniques, including video encoding and distribution and search engine optimization
- A strong familiarity with Global News, both online and on air
- Working knowledge of how major news organizations are employing a wide range of digital platforms and formats
- Excellent organizational, communication and creativity skills, including the ability to brainstorm and create content that works on the web and an ability to make quick decisions under pressure while meeting tight deadlines
- Willingness to adapt to rapidly changing technology and workflows
- Enthusiasm and passion for all forms of news – with an emphasis on local news – as well as a keen interest in technology and digital media
The successful candidate will be a “plugged-in” multi-tasker with a positive can-do attitude and proven ability to make editorial decisions.
Preference will be given to applicants who can demonstrate an openness to learning new skills and workflows and clear strategies which will result in the growth of online usage for the Global News network.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume, cover letter and three links to your published stories to Amy.Judd@globalnews.ca by January 14, 2019. Please clearly identify the job title and location in the subject line.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.