Global News and Corus Radio is currently seeking an enthusiastic and dynamic full time Communications Associate to join our Communications team.
Are you creative, organized and a team player with communications experience and passion for the news and radio media industry? If you can think outside of the box and find new ways to break the status quo, we encourage you to apply for this exciting full-time position. If you want to work for a company that shares your passion for excellence and encourages you to think beyond, this could be the opportunity for you.
Work Status: Full-Time
Location: 81 Barber Greene Road AND 25 Dockside Road, Toronto ON
About the Role
Reporting to the Senior Manager for News and Radio Communications, you will be responsible for supporting the communications team to strategically align and execute communication strategies for Corus’ news and radio properties. Main responsibilities include media relations, writing and distributing press materials, media contact database and media site management, press coverage collection and supporting internal communications.
Global News is committed to innovation, journalistic integrity and powerful reporting. We offer Canadians context around the important issues; from breaking news in the community to engaging content and context. Headed by our flagship newscast Global National, The West Block, the country’s most-watched political affairs program, GlobalNews.ca, the second largest news site in Canada, along with local newscasts from 15 community markets across the country we remain a trusted credible news source for Canadians.
Corus owns 39 radio stations that represent the most-listened to stations in the Canada. The company’s portfolio includes a network of leading news-talk Global News Radio stations, as well as classic rock, country, new rock and contemporary music formats.
- Provide support on news and radio portfolio communications activities; assist in the development and execution of communications strategies to build profile and generate awareness for our brands, talent and original content.
- Work with Publicist and Senior Communications Manager to generate and maximize positive publicity for Corus Entertainment’s news and radio properties across Canada.
- Research, draft and develop materials including news releases, presentations, promotional material, communication plans etc. for both external and internal audiences
- Maintain and update content on internal and external Corus platforms with relevant and timely materials, including media lists, corporate website, bios for network website.
- Track and monitor media and industry activity; prepare campaign measurement and coverage reports
- Distribute press releases, media alerts, photo advisories, bios and other potential writing opportunities
- Provide event support and onsite logistics for internal and external stakeholders initiatives
- Coordinate and provide PR support for talent requests, publicity opportunities and photo shoots
- Coordinate and work closely with marketing on campaigns, events and initiatives
- Assist in the organization of special events for Corus Entertainment, as required, including staff and media events
What We Need From You:
- Related post-secondary education in communications, PR or journalism, and a minimum 1- 2 years in the communications, media or entertainment industry
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
- Exceptional time management skills – ability to multi-task and work well under deadlines
- Accuracy, attention to detail, strong organizational skills are critical
- Results and performance-driven attitude, an enthusiastic self-starter
- Ability to work independently and take initiative; as well as to collaborate in a team environment and build relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders ranging from external media to senior leadership groups successfully
- Ability to work with sensitive information and issues in a confidential manner
- Must have an interest and general working knowledge of the news industry
- Fluent in relevant software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and all social media platforms; proficiency in MRP, MailChimp, Piktochart Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and web applications such as WordPress is also valued.
If You Have the Following….We Want to Hear From You!
- Interest in and knowledge of Canadian broadcast industry trends and developments
- A knack for new and innovative publicity thinking
- Experience working collaboratively with other internal departments to develop innovative and fully integrated campaigns
- Flexibility and openness to change, new challenges and demands in a fast-paced environment
- Diplomacy, enthusiasm, creativity, strong organization skills and detail orientation
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 19, 2018. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.