It’s a great time to join Canada’s powerhouse of news, as we carve a path into a bright new future. Global News provides Canadians from coast to coast a host of news and information – from breaking news in their community to deep engaging content that puts complex world issues in perspective. We leverage the strength of Corus Entertainment Inc., and our powerful combination of media assets positions us as an entertainment destination choice for consumers – a proudly Canadian company that nurtures a diverse range of Canadian voices and choices.
Job ID: 11685
Division: Global BC
Work Status: Full-Time
Location: Burnaby, BC
About the Role:
Global BC is looking for a Full Time Writer to join the #1 newsroom in Western Canada. Reporting to the Executive Producer, this position will include various shifts including regular weekends and overnights. This is a Group 2 position under the current collective agreement.
- Write compelling, accurate news copy for all platforms, including story leads, segment leads, bumpers, promos and news ticker;
- Update, rewrite and refresh information as necessary;
- Cut down/reformat news content from reporter stories;
- Monitor all news sources and be on top of breaking news and developing situations;
- Assist in breaking news coverage, including helping coordinate live coverage, setting up interviews for broadcast, and facilitating pictures and video for all platforms;
- Research and arrange interviews for news stories and shows when required;
- Assist with show guests;
- Communicate with and assign field crews when necessary;
- Maintain Global News’ high production standards;
- Some desktop editing;
- News switchboard duties, including answering phone calls from the public and dealing appropriately with inquiries and news tips;
- Update globalnews.ca when required;
- Other duties as required.
What We Need From You:
- Post-secondary degree, diploma or equivalent in Broadcast Journalism from a recognized institution;
- Minimum 12 months working experience in a newsroom;
- Strong news sense with ability to recognize, chase and help develop relevant news content;
- Solid research abilities;
- Strong news writing skills with the ability to write accurate, concise and creative copy for live newscasts;
- Ability to make quick, informed decisions and handle the demands and pressure of multiple, daily online and broadcast deadlines;
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to act independently and work effectively in a team environment;
- Comprehensive computer knowledge, including knowledge of leading edge Newsroom management systems (i.e. ENPS) and editing programs;
- Willingness to adapt to rapidly changing technology and workflows, including learning new online skills in a multi-faceted digital news operation;
- Experience and ease with social media sites and ability to write and/or produce web copy;
- Manage content through social media an asset;
- Must have strong communication and people skills.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 19, 2019. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.