It’s a great time to join Canada’s powerhouse of news, as we carve a path into a bright new future. Global News provides Canadians from coast to coast a host of news and information – from breaking news in their community to deep engaging content that puts complex world issues in perspective. We leverage the strength of Corus Entertainment Inc., and our powerful combination of media assets positions us as an entertainment destination choice for consumers – a proudly Canadian company that nurtures a diverse range of Canadian voices and choices.
Weather Reporter/Anchor (Casual)
Job ID: 10566
Division: Global BC
Work Status: Temporary (Casual)
Location: Burnaby, BC
About the Role
Global BC is looking for a Temporary (Casual) Weather Reporter/Anchor to join the #1 newsroom in Western Canada. Reporting to the News Director, this position includes a variety of shifts, including regular weekends.
This is a Group 5 position under the current collective agreement.
- Plan, produce and present live, dynamic informative weather forecasts on local news programs utilizing our WSI weather graphic system;
- Report live on-location when required;
- Plan, produce and present weather updates when required;
- Provide detailed and interactive weather information for Global News online and our Skytracker mobile app;
- Provide up-to-date and interactive weather information via Twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms on a regular basis throughout the day;
- Research and develop original, creative story ideas dealing with weather subjects;
- Must work cohesively as part of a team striving to provide Global BC’s audience with the best weather information possible;
- Take part in editorial planning meetings on a regular basis;
- Participate in Global promotional and community activities as required;
- Other duties as required.
What We Need From You:
- Atmospheric Science Degree, Broadcast Meteorology Degree and/or Canadian Meteorology and Oceanographic Society (C.M.O.S.) accreditation is considered an asset;
- Minimum of 3 years on-air experience in a large market;
- Strong on-air presentation skills, with an emphasis on live remote abilities and unscripted material;
- Experience using computerized weather graphics systems;
- Demonstrated innovation in the use of the latest production tools, including live breaking news situations;
- Willingness to adapt to rapidly changing technology and new online skills in a multi-faceted digital news operation;
- Should be familiar with the current state of online news reporting and publishing;
- Must be able to handle the demands and pressure of multiple, daily online and broadcast deadlines;
- Working knowledge of new media tools and technologies (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc.), and related applications;
- Must have excellent people skills with the ability to work independently, effectively and cooperatively in a team environment;
- Position will involve a variety of shifts; regular weekends will be required.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Monday, November 6, 2017. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.