Career Opportunity: Weather Anchor/Community Reporter
Division: News & Information
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Global Regina
Global Regina’s News Department is currently seeking a full-time Weather Anchor/Community Reporter to join their team. The successful candidate for this position will work in a highly competitive environment with a motivated team whose newscasts are targeted at viewers in the 25-54 demographic. As witnessed over the past several months, weather can have a major impact on our lives. With that in mind Global Regina is looking for a Weather Anchor/Community Reporter who understands the importance of accurate and intelligent weather forecasts. We also want the candidate to be an active member of our community, who can bring neighbourhood stories to life. This position reports directly to the News Director.
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Present informative and viewer-friendly weathercasts with competence and clarity.
- Strong on-air presentation, including live remotes and unscripted material.
- Write / Produce web, text and social-media versions of weather stories.
- Continually monitor and track weather patterns / trends including data on rain and snowfall amounts
- Update emergency weather crawls, the web site and Social media
- Creating relationships with community organizations
- Generating original and community related stories
- Represent Global Regina in the community by attending and hosting a variety of events.
- Available to work weekdays, evenings and weekends
- Other duties as required.
Required Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
- Diploma/degree in journalism or similar relevant education
- Minimum of 3 years’ on-air experience in a small/medium market.
- The successful candidate will have a solid understanding of weather patterns.
- Must be able to clearly communicate how the forecast will impact our viewers.
- Strong writing and storytelling skills
- Proven ability to present information to viewers in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to handle the demands and pressure of multiple, daily online and broadcast deadlines
- Able to work co-operatively in a team environment
- Must be willing to adapt in a rapidly changing media and technology landscape
- Computer savvy with the ability to learn electronic weather systems.
- Experience with Non-linear editing systems is an asset.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 11, 2019. Please clearly identify the Job Title in the subject line.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.