Supervisor, Online Journalist
Division: Global BC
Work Status: Full-time
Location: Burnaby, BC
About the Role:
Global News is currently seeking a full-time online supervisor reporting to the Western Manager of Digital who will be responsible for overseeing a team of award-winning journalists based at Global BC and Global Okanagan.
The successful candidate will be required to work a variety of shifts including early mornings, days, evenings and weekends, writing local and network content as well as editing and uploading video for all platforms as required.
- Lead a team of online journalists at Global BC, Global Okanagan and liaise with staff at CKNW.
- Encourage, direct and oversee the production and promotion of compelling content for globalnews.ca.
- Supervise the online work of producers, journalists, VJs and reporters in BC.
- Communicate, teach, track and model Global News’ best practices in digital journalism.
- Write, post and promote online content, including on-air appearances as required.
- Champion online coverage at meetings and throughout the day to ensure digital platforms are prioritized.
- Report on top-performing content to help inform editorial decisions for all publishing platforms.
- Assist in developing and executing strategies to grow and engage our audience on globalnews.ca and social media. Monitor real-time site performance and work with online staff to optimize.
- Work with Western Manager of Digital, executive producers, managing editors, news directors and others to implement a flexible workflow that supports multi-platform content production.
- Work with Western Manager of Digital, executive producers, managing editors and administrative support staff to schedule online reporters, ensuring region-wide coverage seven days a week in B.C.
- Maintain regular contact with fellow Global News digital leaders and communicate key changes and improvements to staff and managers.
- Participate in planning of special news, community and marketing events and projects. Support marketing with online and social efforts, as required.
- Ensure all online stories are vetted for content, grammar and style. Work with Western Manager of Digital, managing editors and executive producers to improve your own and your team’s writing skills.
- Ensure local and wire content is posted and promoted in a timely fashion.
- Oversee access to official accounts on social networks in conjunction with Social Desk. Ensure content is promoted optimally.
- Oversee viewer relations on social media. Resolve and respond to website user complaints and feedback.
- Support advertising and sponsorship efforts, as required.
What We Need From You:
- Degree or diploma in journalism, communications or a related field from a recognized institution.
- Comprehensive understanding and extensive experience with WordPress and CP style.
- Proficient in social media, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram.
- Experience supervising or leading a team is required.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently, effectively and cooperatively in a team environment.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Editing experience is required.
- Position may involve a variety of shifts, including evenings and weekends.
- Successful candidate must be able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- A positive, can-do attitude is essential.
How to Apply
Please email your resume, cover letter and three links of your published work to Erika.email@example.com by May 25, 2018 with the job title in the email subject line.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.