About the Role:
The Corus Entertainment/Global News team is seeking a full-time Digital Journalist based at Global Calgary, reporting to the Managing Editor. The successful candidate will be a flexible multi-tasker and team-player with a positive, can-do attitude and a passion for community sports as well as experience filing news content. She or he will be required to work a variety of shifts including evenings, weekends or early mornings. This role includes reporting, shooting and editing video as well as anchoring, writing and promoting sports and news content for TV, online and radio.
Primary functions and responsibilities:
- Report, produce and edit sports and news content for multiple daily newscasts, radio and globalnews.ca
- Research and develop original and enterprising story and guest ideas
- Be the Global Calgary face of community sports coverage and own this coverage at the grassroots level
- Anchor or backfill anchor sports segments in Global News programs
Be a strong advocate, model and mentor for digital journalism and a digital-first workflow
- Regularly post links, video and photos on social media to promote Global News content and engage with viewers
- Display creativity in the use of visual graphics and other visual elements
- Perform live on-location reporting, including unscripted material, for newscasts
- Backfill other sports positions as required
- Participate in Global Calgary promotional and community activities
- Work closely with staff based in Lethbridge and Edmonton on coverage plans and shared assignments
- Meet tight deadlines
- Perform other duties as required
What we need from you:
- Strong background in broadcast and online sports and news reporting with at least three years’ experience
- Degree/diploma in journalism from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Demonstrated on-air presentation, including live remotes and unscripted material
- Proven editing experience is considered an asset
- Adept writer for broadcast, online and social media with great online and traditional story research skills
- An innovator with confidence in making sports editorial decisions
- This position requires someone who is comfortable working both independently and cooperatively in a team environment, with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with Canadian Press Style and experience publishing in WordPress are assets
- Willing and able to adapt to rapidly changing technology and workflows
- Organized and able to make quick and effective decisions under pressure
Corus Entertainment and Global News are committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourage applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.
Interested applicants should submit their resume and letter of interest by applying to email@example.com by February 22, 2019. Internal candidates must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.