Would you like to be part of a ground-breaking team that’s reinventing television news? If so, and if you’re full of energy, enthusiasm and creativity, then the most innovative news organization in the country would like to meet with you!
Producer, Global News Toronto
Job ID: 11633
Division: Global Toronto
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Toronto, ON
About the Role
Based in Toronto and reporting to the Executive Producer of Global News Toronto, this position is part of the Global News team which produces local newscasts and community programming 7 days a week. The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions of this role:
- Help direct, organize and lead all planned editorial and multi-media production requirements for Global Toronto newscasts;
- Assist in determining the look, style, pace, lineup and format of program based on established criteria and values;
- Work with fellow producers and writers to maintain Global News editorial standards;
- Identify creative opportunities to ensure program is dynamic, engaging, and intelligent;
- Plan, select, and request production and resource elements;
- Take to air live programs in a control room environment in a calm and decisive manner, while problem solving, troubleshooting, and striving to improve the program;
- Edit and package news items;
- Script elements of the broadcast;
- Develop and maintain a network of contacts inside and outside Global News;
- Work with affiliates to co-ordinate news coverage and resources;
- Perform other duties as required.
What We Need From You:
- Degree or diploma in Broadcast Journalism;
- Deep knowledge of the diverse communities that make up the GTA and Southern Ontario;
- Experience producing news content in a live environment;
- Experience in digital journalism, including a deep understanding of how to engage audiences using social media;
- Ability to generate and craft original story ideas that reflect the community we serve;
- Strong editorial, visual and communications skills;
- Proficiency in story judgment, writing, and producing;
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Strong leadership, with a high degree of initiative;
- Excellent news judgment and writing abilities;
- Strong experience in original story generation and gathering;
- Ability to interview both newsmakers and community stakeholders;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills;
- Ability to work well with minimal supervision;
- Attention to detail;
- Experience working in an online environment;
- Understanding of productions platforms, such as ENPS and iNews;
- Live Control Room experience a must.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 18th, 2019. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.