It’s a great time to join Canada’s powerhouse of news, as we carve a path into a bright new future. Global News provides Canadians from coast to coast a host of news and information – from breaking news in their community to deep engaging content that puts complex world issues in perspective. We leverage the strength of Corus Entertainment Inc., and our powerful combination of media assets positions us as an entertainment destination choice for consumers – a proudly Canadian company that nurtures a diverse range of Canadian voices and choices.
Online Journalist (British Columbia)
Job ID: H00010260
Division: Global BC
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Burnaby, BC
About the Role
Global BC is looking for a Full Time Online Journalist to join the #1 newsroom in Western Canada. Reporting to the Executive Producer, this position will include shift work, including early mornings, evenings and regular weekends. This is a Group 4 position under the current collective agreement.
- Recognize and chase appropriate news content for broadcast and online;
- Generating web, text and social media news content, with an emphasis on local stories and breaking news;
- Working with the assignment desk, news producers, reporters and field crews to assist in and coordinate on-line and on-air news coverage;
- Work on special projects with various station and globalnews.ca departments;
- Monitor and track progress of ongoing story assignments;
- Deliver unique and enterprise news stories for globalnews.ca;
- Site troubleshooting and overall maintenance of Global BC’s high editorial standards;
- Watch news feeds/wire services and write news copy, updates and other related material for the Global BC website, affiliate websites, and BC1 or Global BC news programs when required;
- Download ENG visuals, stories, segments and other content to the globalnews.ca site;
- Produce compelling web and multi-platform content, including text-based, video and interactive online features;
- Other duties as required.
What We Need From You:
- Degree or diploma in journalism, communications or a related field from a recognized institution;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working and multi-tasking in a high-pressure news environment;
- Must have proven strong editorial news judgment, with solid research abilities;
- Excellent knowledge of social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram;
- Comprehensive understanding and extensive experience with WordPress;
- Ability to respond quickly to breaking news events;
- Ability to handle the demands and pressure of multiple, daily online and broadcast deadlines;
- Experience updating online and broadcast content with a content management system;
- Excellent people skills and ability to work independently, effectively and cooperatively in a team environment;
- Working knowledge of how major news organizations employ a wide range of digital platforms and formats;
- Able to adapt in a rapidly changing media and technology landscape;
- Strong communications skills;
- Ability to appear on air as required;
- This position will be required to work early mornings, evenings and regular weekends.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to GlobalBC.Careers@corusent.com by June 27, 2017. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.