News and Station Manager
Job ID RTH 11040
Division: News & Information
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Global Okanagan
Global News has an immediate opening for a senior leader at Corus Entertainment based in Kelowna. As Global Okanagan News and Station Manager this position will report to the Vice President, News and Information, West and will be responsible for all local news in the market, specifically as it appears on our digital properties. You must have a proven track record of being a strong and effective leader in a medium to large market, have a positive attitude, a passion for storytelling and an ability to grow our connections in the community.
About the Role
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Devise a strategy and execute the day to day transformation of the newsroom into a digital first entity
- Analyze the market and implement ways to increase our online presence
- Must be able to develop and execute local community strategies for all platforms
- Communicate, teach, track and model Global News’ best practices in digital journalism.
- Champion online coverage at meetings and throughout the day to ensure digital platforms are prioritized. Respond to top-performing content to help inform editorial decisions for all publishing platforms.
- Develop and execute strategies to grow and engage our audience on globalnews.ca/Okanagan and related social media accounts. Monitor real-time site performance and work with online staff to optimize content.
- Work with other team members to further develop community and marketing strategies to win and grow both audiences and brand
- Manage and develop workflows and employees to ensure successful television newscasts
- Define and establish measurable strategic news objectives and constantly monitor progress towards achieving these goals
- Responsible for day to day operation of the newsroom and the overall station
- Establish and maintain effective budgets
- Manage and mentor staff and act decisively when required
- Evaluate work performance and provide regular feedback to employees for the professional development of staff
What We Need From You:
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Must be a high performer able to achieve success in a high stress digital environment
- An excellent communicator, this people person readily takes on difficult assignments and works well in a team environment
- Must have a proven track record in medium to large market and be able to think beyond the traditional method of storytelling and interaction with audiences
- Must have a proven track record of working with community groups and local charities
- Preferred qualifications include a minimum of ten years proven television, radio and digital news experience
- A working knowledge of how major news organizations are employing a wide range of digital platforms and formats and should be familiar with online news reporting and where it’s headed
- A working knowledge of new media tools – Twitter, Facebook and YouTube etc.
- Experience and understanding of the market in Kelowna and surrounding area
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2018.
Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.