Division: CKNW News-Talk 980
Work Status: Full-time
Location: Vancouver, BC
About the Role
Reporting to the Senior Program Director of CKNW-AM, Vancouver, you will be responsible for hosting a weekday overnight program (10p-2a PT/ 1a-5a ET) for Corus’ seven News Talk radio stations based in Vancouver. The show will expand on the day’s news and events and get listener’s set for a fresh start of a new day. It is story driven, opinionated, irreverent and Canadian. This position will require an individual who understands and appreciates the late night listener, who drives conversation with personality and showmanship, who can humanize stories and issues, reflect Canadian life and lifestyle, has an insatiable curiosity to learn, a passion for current affairs and the ability to develop and execute talk radio segments, live broadcasts, and promotions. The ideal candidate is credible, engaging, fun, populist, tasteful, a storyteller, relatable, conversational and unconventional.
- Prepare and host a live, national talk show five nights a week 10p-2a PT
- Research, have a strong working knowledge and point of view of the day’s news and current affairs stories and prepare them expertly for broadcast, social and digital media.
- Create original angles/approaches to stories and develop them for broadcast, social and digital media
- Understand and embrace the overnight mindset and lifestyle and help create a show that reflects the appropriate tone – including music, imaging, story selection, and performance choices.
- Back up opinions with facts and personal experience
- Tell engaging stories that are relatable, relevant and engaging
- Be a curious and strategic interviewer
- Find unpredictable ways to engage with listeners, callers, guests and other Corus content.
- Be collaborative with and respectful of the producer, board operator and others.
- Record promos, make live call-in appearances, and live promotional appearances on and for affiliate stations as requested and when available
- Engage with listeners on social media
- Practice ethical principles of journalism
- Meet and exceed ratings expectations
- Perform other duties as required
What We Need From You:
- A proven personality and storyteller who can connect with Men and Women ages 25-64 across Canada
- A unique Canadian perspective
- Working late night hours
- Excellent organizational, communication & interpersonal skills
- Strong and solid interviewing skills
- Ability to write for all media platforms
- Comprehensive knowledge of local, national and international news events
- Expertise in audio editing preferred
- Understanding of WordPress preferred
- A proficiency with social media
- Creative, energetic, fun, outgoing, positive, friendly manner and team player
- Minimum three years of experience in a major market or equivalent preferred
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to send a resume via email to the address below by December 1, 2017 to:
Larry Gifford, Senior Program Director
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.