Are you creative, dynamic and passionate about telling stories through social media? Do you like to think outside of the box and find new ways to achieve your goals? Corus Entertainment has an exciting new opportunity on the Global News social media desk. If you have a passion for social media storytelling, and would like to reach millions of people daily, we encourage you to apply.
Career Opportunity: National Online Journalist – Social Media
Job ID: 16-257
Division: News & Information
Work Status: Permanent
Location: Global Toronto
About the Role
Reporting to the National Online Supervising Editor, Social Media, you will be responsible for amplifying the best of Global News content on social media, increasing audience engagement and upholding Global News/Corus Entertainment social media best practices. The successful candidate will work with a small team of social media journalists to curate digital content and position it for Globalnews.ca’s ever-growing social media audience. This position will be based at 81 Barber Greene Road in Toronto.
- Curate digital content and position it for various social media platforms, aligning them to SEO best practices
- Strengthen audience engagement by monitoring and responding to comments, messages and other feedback from users
- Craft social media copy and create visual content (thumbnails, gifs, photo collages, etc.) for news and features
- Assist the breaking news team with major breaking news events
- Collaborate with and advise local newsrooms
- Analyse data in real time to ensure that we are meeting KPIs
- Uphold social media best practices as outlined in the Global News Journalistic Principles and Practices
- Pitch and write pieces about trending topics and viral stories
- Create and promote innovative new multiplatform storytelling tools, techniques and technologies across the network
- Educate, encourage and generally act as a social media ambassador for staff
What We Need From You:
- Degree or diploma in journalism or a related field
- 3 years of experience in a newsroom environment
- Experience managing external social media channels
- Proven track record of growing social media audiences and successfully meeting KPIs
- Proficiency in Spredfast, Hootsuite, SocialFlow or similar social media publishing platforms
- Proficiency in Photoshop
- Deep understanding of social channels – both established (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat) and emerging.
- Thorough understanding of SEO
If You Have the Following….We Want to Hear From You!
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to think on your feet
- Motivated, self-starter, independent, results oriented and professional.
- A genuine love of social media and its storytelling possibilities
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by October 21, 2016. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line or your application will not be considered.
Internal candidates must also they are internal in the subject line.
Interviews will be conducted as applications are received.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted