Are you creative, dynamic and passionate about uncovering the stories that Canadians need to know? Do you like to think outside of the box and find new ways to achieve your goals? If so, Corus Entertainment has an exciting new opportunity for you. We’re looking for a multi-platform news features journalist. If you have a passion for excellence and would like to work with a team of talented journalists across the country, we encourage you to apply.
National Online Journalist – Features (Reporter)
Job ID: National Online Journalist — Features
Division: News online
Work Status: Full-time
Location: Toronto, Ontario
About the Role:
Reporting to the Managing Editor — Features, you will develop and execute the vision and editorial strategy for globalnews.ca, with the goal of creating compelling, impactful, enterprise and original journalism content. You will help lead a team of features journalists and assist them in the creation of web, broadcast and multi-platform content including, but not limited to, text, video, and interactive digital journalism.
You will contribute original multi-platform content that will achieve or exceed traffic goals, increasing user engagement, and building relationships with a variety of key internal stakeholders, including local and national broadcast news managers, digital product development, The West Block and Global National. This position will be based at 81 Barber Greene Road in Toronto.
- Work with the Managing Editor — Features and senior leadership to meet goals and objectives that will grow globalnews.ca traffic and television ratings through award-winning journalism.
- Develop and maintain sources to aid in creating original and feature stories for online, broadcast television and radio.
- Pitch and write quality news pieces that challenge the status quo, demand accountability and create change.
- Create and promote innovative new multiplatform storytelling tools, techniques and technologies across the network.
- Uphold the high standards of the Global News Journalistic Principles and Practices as well as journalistic ethics codes and best practices.
What We Need From You:
- College or university degree (or equivalent experience), preferably in Journalism.
- 3-5 years of experience in online media or equivalent, with a minimum of 3 years of digital, television or newspaper journalism experience.
- Proven track record in achieving editorial goals and driving growth against business objectives on time and on budget.
- Working knowledge of basic video shooting and editing.
- Expert knowledge of advanced search methods, social networking for the purpose of newsgathering and story distribution.
- Strong working knowledge of digital production techniques, including online information architecture, digital project management, video encoding and distribution, and organic story creation.
- Diverse content experience across multiple verticals and formats, including digital video, text articles, blogs, social media tools, digital photos.
- A strong social media presence is considered an asset.
If You Have the Following….We Want to Hear From You!
- A passion for, as well as several years of experience creating multi-platform news features.
- You wake up in the middle of the night with great ideas.
- A positive attitude, a love for collaboration and a team player.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing, dynamic environment.
- Motivated, self-starter, independent, results oriented and professional.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and to prioritize effectively.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to innovate, explore new ideas and acquire new skills.
- Drive, determination, attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 30, 2018. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.