Are you creative, dynamic and passionate about uncovering the stories that Canadians need to know? Do you like to think outside of the box and find new ways to achieve your goals? Corus Entertainment has an exciting new opportunity. We’re looking for a politics journalist. If you have a passion for excellence, and would like to work with a team of talented journalists across the country, we encourage you to apply.
National Online Journalist – Politics
J ob ID: 16-056
Work Status: Full-time
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
About the Role:
Reporting to the National Managing Editor — Features, you will be responsible for creating and coordinating Canadian political coverage for Globalnews.ca and various sections and sub-sites across Canada. You will develop and execute the vision and editorial strategy for globalnews.ca, with the goal of creating compelling, impactful, enterprise and original journalism content. You will assist a team of feature journalists and help them in the creation of web, broadcast and multi-platform content including, but not limited to, text, video, and interactive digital journalism.
You will contribute original multi-platform content that will achieve or exceed traffic goals, increase user engagement and build relationships with a variety of key internal stakeholders, including local and national broadcast news managers, digital product development, The West Block and Global National. This position will be based at 1400-40 Elgin Street in Ottawa.
- Planning and creating compelling and original multi-media political web stories, including breaking news, long-form written features, photo- and video-based features as well as interactive features.
- Making complicated political stories relevant to wider audiences.
- Developing and maintaining sources to aid in creating original and investigative stories.
- Contributing research and analysis on breaking political news.
- Repurpose wire copy (CP and otherwise) for search engine optimization.
- Engage audiences through various social media platforms.
- Liaising with various digital and broadcast teams, including web producers, news directors, producers, assignment editors, anchors, reporters and other news professionals, as well as third-party content providers, to facilitate the creation of unique online content.
- Liaising with digital project managers, online production artists, web developers and web designers to deliver timely site developments and special projects.
- Assisting the National Managing Editor, Features, in creating long-term maintenance/growth strategies for Globalnews.ca.
- Working to ensure special projects are accurately scoped, resourced and budgeted.
- Working to explore new methods of converging online and TV content to create a seamless experience for our audience.
- Utilizing specific online tools: content management system (WordPress), photo database (CP, Getty) wire news service interface (AP ENPS), interactive curation tool (Storify), interactive polling software and liveblogging tools.
- Staying informed of local, national and international news.
What We Need From You:
- College or university degree (or equivalent experience), preferably in Journalism.
- Minimum five years experience covering politics, preferably at the federal level.
- Five years experience in developing online content.
- Five years experience in managing and delivering multiple projects on time and on budget.
- Excellent writing, copy editing and substantive editing skills.
- Strong working knowledge of WordPress CMS.
- Strong working knowledge of digital production techniques, including online information architecture, digital project management, video encoding and distribution, and organic story creation.
- Diverse content experience across multiple verticals and formats, including digital video, text articles, blogs, social media tools, digital photos.
- A strong social media presence is an asset.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and experience working with several internal and external stakeholders on various projects.
- On-air experience (for television and radio) an asset.
- Experience working in broadcast news, and in a digital newsroom environment, is an asset.
- Enthusiasm and passion for all forms of news — everything from international events to politics, pop culture, sports — with an emphasis on Canadian politics, as well as a keen interest in technology and digital media. Experience in writing and reporting on personal finance, business and consumer issues an asset.
If You Have the Following….We Want to Hear From You!
- Passion for online journalism and Canadian politics. You wake up in the middle of the night with good ideas.
- A positive attitude, a love for collaboration and a team player.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing, dynamic environment.
- Motivated, self-starter, independent, results oriented and professional.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and to prioritize effectively.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to innovate, explore new ideas and acquire new skills.
- Drive, determination, attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to GlobalTorontoCareers@corusent.com by November 7, 2018. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.