Corus’ brands deliver compelling, engaging, interactive and informative content to millions of people every day. The company’s portfolio of television services encompasses 44 specialty television channels and 15 conventional television stations. Corus’ collection of premium brands includes Global Television, W Network, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network Canada, HGTV Canada, Food Network Canada, History®, Showcase, National Geographic, Disney Channel Canada, YTV and Nickelodeon Canada. The Program Rights finance team is an integral part of the team that brings this exciting content to Canadians.
Intermediate Accountant, Program Rights
Work Status: Contract, 1 year
About the Role:
Corus has an exciting full time opportunity for an Intermediate Accountant – Program Rights in our Toronto head office. Working as an integral part of the Media Finance team, this key role interacts with different parts of the organization including the legal team on new programming contracts, to tracking and reporting on programming, and calculating the program amortization expense for various television services. This role uses existing databases and systems to provide relevant, accurate, timely financial information and analysis, to the Media Finance team and operational teams.
Reporting to the Manager Finance, Program Rights, you will be responsible for identifying trends, ensuring the accuracy and quality of programming information, and updating process flow for Corus’ programming system. As the successful candidate, you have a proven track record for organizing and analyzing large data sets, driving continuous improvement in a strong internal controls environment, and completing a timely monthly financial close and reporting process. You have demonstrated strong communication skills, meeting expectations of operational teams you support, and ability to prioritize multiple objectives.
- Review and ensure integrity of information input into Corus programming system
- Work closely with both the Finance and Content groups to accurately record results and analyze variances
- Identify titles for further analysis including fully amortized assets or programming deals with unique attributes
- Consolidate and summarize amortization expense for reporting to Senior Management
- Reconciliation of programming sub-ledgers for assets, liabilities, and program expense to general ledger; present and prepare correcting entries and identify significant transactions
- Respond to and resolve queries from operational programming group; provide suggestions for resolution based on past experience and judgement
- Ensure controls from programming process are executed and documented, including review of reconciliations with management team
- Work with colleagues to transfer program assets as needed including calculation of value to transfer
- Assist with preparation of required audit working papers for quarterly reviews and yearly audit.
What We Need From You:
- University graduate in Business Administration, Finance or Commerce; studying towards completion of recognized accounting designation such as CPA
- Minimum 3 years of related finance experience in large organization
- Advanced Excel and database skills required
- Strong business acumen including through understanding of financial accounting principles
- Advanced analytical skills demonstrated by ability to get into the details and understanding big picture simultaneously
If You Have the Following….We Want to Hear From You!
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems both independently collaboratively in a fast-paced environment, with multiple and changing priorities;
- Excellent communication skills with both finance and non-finance staff
- Project management, consensus and leadership abilities
- Interest in review of process flow and providing recommendations for improvement
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy
How to Apply
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Financecareers@corusent.com by December 13, 2018.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.