It’s a great time to join Canada’s powerhouse of news, as we carve a path into a bright new future. Global News provides Canadians a host of news and information – from breaking news in their community to deep engaging content that puts complex world issues in perspective. We leverage the strength of Corus Entertainment Inc., and our powerful combination of media assets positions us as an entertainment destination for consumers – a proudly Canadian company that nurtures a diverse range of Canadian voices and choices.
Host/Anchor – Global News Toronto
Job ID: 11674
Division: Global Toronto
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Toronto, ON
About the Role
Global Toronto’s News Department is currently seeking a full-time Anchor/Host. Reporting directly to the News Director (Global Toronto), this position is part of the Global News team which produces local newscasts and community programming 7 days a week.
The following is a list of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Anchor and host Global’s local/regional news programming, with a focus on morning programming.
- Generate and craft original story ideas that reflect the community we serve.
- Demonstrate strong editorial, visual and communications skills.
- Produce and host local segments both in the field and in-studio.
- Work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Strong proficiency in story judgment, writing, and producing.
- Present live on a variety of platforms, including television, radio, and online.
- Display highly developed production values and present yourself effectively live and on tape.
- Work with the Corus sales and integration teams to execute opportunities that align with programming.
- Other duties as required.
What We Need From You:
- The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Degree or diploma in Broadcast Journalism.
- Deep knowledge of the diverse communities that make up the GTA and Southern Ontario.
- Experience hosting and anchoring news and lifestyle content in a live environment.
- Television news reporting with ENG experience, including use of a variety of video devices.
- Experience in digital journalism, including a deep understanding of how to engage audiences using social media.
- A proven track record of traction, growth, and innovation on various social media platforms.
- Willingness to travel.
- On-air experience required.
- Strong leadership, with a high degree of initiative.
- News judgment and writing abilities.
- Strong experience in original story generation and gathering.
- Ability to interview both newsmakers and community stakeholders.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work well with minimal supervision.
- Attention to detail.
- Experience working in an online environment.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 25th, 2019. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.