Are you creative, dynamic and passionate about news and the stories that people need to know? Do you like to think outside of the box and find new ways to achieve your goals? Corus Entertainment has an exciting new opportunity. We’re looking for a Syndication Editor, Digital Content to join our Global News team. Reporting to the Director of Digital News Content, the successful candidate will manage editorial syndication and partnerships.
Global News Syndication Editor
Job ID: 11719
Division: News online
Work Status: full-time permanent
Location: Toronto, Ontario
About the Role
You will work closely with our award-winning Global News teams to optimize, enhance, pitch, select, shape and package our best digital content to maximize distribution, grow referral traffic and monetize our content on syndicated and partner platforms. The syndicated and partnership content would include text and video of breaking news, lifestyle, entertainment, investigative and feature content on a daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly cadence. It would also include creating and maintaining a short, medium and long-term editorial calendar. This successful candidate will have a passion for journalism, strong editorial news judgement, good knowledge of journalistic principles and practices, strong interpersonal and group communication skills, an eye for compelling page layouts, still images and video as well as graphics. The position will be based in Toronto, Ontario.
- Communicates clearly with various digital and broadcast teams, including web producers, news directors, producers, assignment editors, anchors, reporters and other news professionals, as well as third-party content providers, to determine best content to syndicate to external partner platforms and feature on the homepage and across our network of sites and social media platforms.
- Utilize various analytics tools to monitor traffic and inform editorial decision making.
- Ensure we are delivering content to meet design and metrics expectations.
- Ensure all editorial standards are met.
- Experience with online tools, such as content management systems (WordPress) and news wire services (CP/AP, Reuters, Getty).
- Stay informed of local, national and international news.
- Work cross team on new product features and monetization opportunities.
- Work with graphics/design teams and the content author to give content an extra level of polish.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and experience working with several internal and external stakeholders on various projects.
- Extensive experience with data driven editorial decision making.
- Enthusiasm and passion for all forms of news — everything from international events to politics, pop culture, health, lifestyle, money and sports — as well as a keen interest in technology and digital media.
- If You Have the Following….We Want to Hear From You!
- Experience with news curation or aggregation (e.g. a portal like Yahoo) and various analytics tools – Chartbeat, Google Analytics, Omniture
- Experience working in a news syndication role.
- Experience working in visual mediums as a photographer, graphic designer, photo editor or producer.
- A college or university degree (or equivalent experience), in Journalism, New Media, or Communications.
- Must have 3-5 years minimum experience in a major newsroom.
- Diverse content experience across multiple verticals and formats, including digital video, text articles, blogs, social media tools, digital photos is an asset.
- Strong working knowledge of Canadian Press style.
- A positive attitude, a love for collaboration.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing, dynamic environment.
- Motivated, self-starter, independent, results oriented and professional.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to GlobalTorontoCareers@corusent.com. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.