EFP Camera Audio Operator
Division: Global Calgary
Work Status: Full-Time
Location: Calgary, Alberta
About the Role:
Global Calgary, a division of Corus Entertainment is looking for a highly skilled and results-driven EFP Camera/Audio operator to join the Creative Services team. Corus Creative Services provides Global Calgary and Clients with a full-service production facility for the creation of television commercials, corporate videos, digital video and design, out-door design, brand Image campaigns, unique integration commercial opportunities, contesting opportunities, promotion concept development and execution of short and long format programming. In addition, Creative Services provides clients with creative concept ideas, copywriting, full production capabilities, design, animation and non-linear editing. The successful candidate will work in this extremely competitive creative market and will report to the Manger of Creative Services.
As an EFP Camera Audio Operator, the following is an outline of some but not all of the primary functions and responsibilities for this position:
- Strong knowledge and understanding of commercial broadcast and production equipment and technology.
- Responds quickly and thoughtfully to direction.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task in a live and fluid environment, skilled in creative framing, following camera scripting and capturing un-foreseen action.
- Exhibit the interpersonal skills required to effectively communicate across all levels of the organization within various departments.
- Inclination to actively participate in brainstorming visual direction with production team & director; providing relevant visual references to the director; lighting plots & shot lists as required; determining equipment requirements and sourcing & prep of gear for the shoot;
- Camera/audio/lighting tests as required; consulting with post-production team to ensure that production plan will cut together and technical aspects are considered.
- Willingness to be over prepared, practices the camera moves required for pre-arranged shots.
- Operating camera, audio, or lighting gear as required; taking direction from director and ensuring sufficient coverage of shots for the scripts provided; setting up shots & executing camera moves; setting up and/or supervising the lighting to ensure subjects are lit appropriate to the creative vision.
- Providing creative direction for color timing to post-production team.
- Finding solutions to technical or other practical problems.
- Being open and prepared to innovate and experiment with ideas and new equipment.
- Keeping up to date with filming methods and equipment.
- Ensuring all of the Creative Services gear is in working order with regular professional maintenance, responsible for production vehicles to ensure in working order, assisting Manager of Creative Services with capital planning for production gear, ongoing upkeep and maintenance of production kits & expendables.
- Working with Creative Services Manager and Supervisor in managing, operating and maintaining Calgary Studio B facility.
- Participate/help Creative Services Manager / Supervisor when required in maintaining EFP Outlook Production Shoot calendar.
- Experience with lighting, optics, and cinematography.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a high-pressure fast-paced environment, usually with tight and changing deadlines.
- Capability to meet all internal and external file requirements for broadcast and non-broadcast.
- Full knowledge of Windows, Outlook, Excel, all computer skills.
- Aptitude to track and managing expenses.
- Accountable for keeping to budgets when required.
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds, bend, squat, frequent standing and moving.
- Must be willing to travel (including internationally) as needed, sometimes on short notice.
- Other duties as required
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum of 8 years of EFP Camera Audio Operator experience in commercial video production.
- Exceptional camera operating skills, proven understanding of audio recording methods, and a sophisticated understanding of lighting.
- Strong client facing communication skills.
- Experienced in shooting in studio, on-location and multi-locations.
- A solid understanding of: video formats and resolutions (HD to 8K), color temperature, audio dynamics and microphone characteristics.
- Solid understanding of Adobe Creative Cloud specifically Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Solid understanding and vast experience with GoPro, Canon C300 Mark I & II or similar.
- Strong ability to visually conceptualize abstract concepts & marketing messages while guiding the visual storytelling process.
- The ability to meet concurrent and conflicting deadlines.
- The ability to adapt to and suggest solutions within uncertain shifting production parameters and client requirements.
- A professional team player with strong organization details, excellent communication skills both verbal and written, a positive can-do attitude, and a client service orientation.
- Positive attitude, and appetite to inspire, and support fellow co-workers to own their work and deliver results.
- Motivated to go above and beyond, and wwillingness to continually learn, source and research new gear, production, & post-production methodologies.
- This position may involve a variety of shifts that may include early mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Valid Passport required.
- Valid Driver’s License is required along with a clean driver’s abstract.
How to Apply:
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
Please email your resume and cover letter to CSHiring@corusent.com by February 11, 2019.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.