Are you creative, energetic, positive and persistent? Do you want to be part of Calgary’s top TV news station, a team that sets big goals, embraces change, wins together and above all, aims to understand and serve our audiences? Then we invite you to apply for a position at Global Calgary as a permanent, full-time Editorial Assistant.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the successful candidate will be a flexible multi-tasker and team-player with a positive attitude and a passion for news. This is an entry-level editorial support position, and may include various shifts including regular weekends, morning or evenings.
- Assist our editorial staff as directed with chasing, researching, and setting-up interviews;
- Research, fact-check and update editorial information;
- Shot-list interviews and elements for daily news stories;
- Book guests, assist in ordering graphics and finding archive footage;
- Assist in breaking news situations by chasing information to support online and broadcast producers and reporters;
- Input information as required in Slack and Trello;
- Help obtain permission to use pictures and video for all platforms during breaking news situations;
- Monitor wires, radio and social media for stories and breaking news;
- Participate in editorial meetings and pitch stories;
- Answer phone calls from the public and deal with inquiries and news tips;
- Other duties as required.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in journalism or broadcasting;
- TV news editorial experience would be considered an asset;
- Solid news judgment, with great research abilities and strong communication and news writing skills;
- Confidence with a wide variety of news-related tasks including chasing interviews;
- Proven ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet tight deadlines;
- Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites;
- Excellent people skills with the ability to work independently and cooperatively in a rapidly changing environment;
- Motivated, independent, results-oriented and professional;
- Attentive to detail and committed to excellence.
How to apply:
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by May 17, 2019.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.