Division: Global News
Work Status: Full-time
Location: Calgary, Alberta
About the Role
The Corus Entertainment/Global News team is seeking a full-time Digital Journalist based at Global Calgary, reporting to the News Director and working closely with the Digital Manager. The successful candidate will be a flexible multi-tasker with a positive, can-do attitude. She or he will be required to work primarily early mornings as a member of the Global News Morning team but must also be available to work days, evenings and weekends as scheduled. This is an exciting new role which takes advantage of a multiplatform approach to journalism.
Primary functions and responsibilities:
- Develop enterprising and contextual morning news content for social platforms using self-generated graphics and other visual elements
- Use sound journalistic practices to identify and deliver developing stories to multiple platforms
- Engage online audiences with original and enterprising social Global News content including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, and other relevant platforms
- Work closely with Global News Morning anchors to create personality-driven sharable videos for online and social platforms
- Create, oversee, and coordinate social media and digital content generated by morning news teams
- Appear live on-air to share socially-driven news content on broadcast
- Perform radio voicers and live debriefs on talk radio as required
- Participate in morning news assignment and planning meetings
- Be a strong advocate, model and mentor for digital journalism and a digital-first workflow in the local newsroom
- Participate in Global Calgary promotional and community initiatives and live into the Corus values to Win Together, Make it Happen, Learn Every Day, Think Beyond and Show We Care
- Perform other duties as required
What we need from you:
- At least three years’ experience in online and/or broadcast or print journalism
- Degree/diploma in journalism from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Proven experience in making independent editorially sound decisions
- Familiarity with Canadian Press Style and publishing in WordPress
- Comfort with performing live and unscripted material on-air
- Ability to make quick and effective decisions under pressure
- Strong knowledge of local and regional news and pop-culture trends
- Social Media
- Proven experience creating compelling content on social media platforms
- Skilled writer with excellent research skills
- Ability to quickly identify industry trends and adapt to rapidly changing technology
- Experience in creating and executing a social media strategy
- Ability to identify and create platform-specific best practices for content
- Expert abilities in smartphone usage and video editing experience
- Understanding of broadcast quality lighting, audio, and video techniques
- Demonstrated understanding of quality graphic design techniques
- Enthusiastic early adopter of new technologies including interactive web-based programs, apps and push notifications
This position requires someone who is comfortable working both independently and cooperatively in a dynamic team environment, with excellent problem-solving, communication and interpersonal skills.
The successful candidate will possess the skills, determination, and patience to craft a new position from the ground up while working collaboratively with a variety of local and network departments including news, online, and sales.
A valid driver’s licence and clean abstract is required for this position.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their resume and letter of interest by applying to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 10, 2018.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.