Career Opportunity: Digital Broadcast Journalist
Division: Global News
Work Status: Full-time
About the Role
Global News Toronto has an exciting opportunity for a Digital Broadcast Journalist. This position is part of the Global News team which produces local newscasts 7 days a week. This position reports directly to the Managing Editor.
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Daily reporting of news and community events
- Proven understanding of the issues affecting the GTA and its residents
- Live reporting on a daily basis
- Generate multiple original and relative story ideas daily
- Write, produce and post content with multiple deadlines on a daily basis
- Strong on-air presentation
- Utilize new technology and social media to provide video, stills and streaming video for online, social media and broadcast
- Working knowledge of how major news organizations are employing a wide range of digital platforms and formats
- Represent Global Toronto at public functions
- Available to work evenings and weekends
- Perform other duties as assigned
About the Role
What We Need From You:
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Diploma/Degree in Journalism/Broadcasting or equivalent experience
- Experienced journalist capable of reporting and anchoring daily news and community events
- Minimum five years prior reporting/anchoring experience is required
- Strong writing and storytelling skills
- Demonstrate strong news judgment in line with station objectives
- Ability to go live from the field with strong presentation skills and clarity
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to adjust to changing priorities and objectives
- Ability to work independently
- Must demonstrate accountability and teamwork
- Must work well under pressure, possess a desire to be the best, have a positive can-do attitude
- Be able to meet strict deadlines, and work co-operatively with others in a teamwork setting
- Possess a valid driver’s licence and clear driving record
- Working knowledge of new media tools and technologies (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.) and related applications
- Willingness to adapt to rapidly changing technology
- Must be proficient in creating, curating and developing content using digital operating systems for multiple platforms
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to GlobalTorontoCareers@corusent.com by September 29, 2017.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.