Career Opportunity: Community Reporter
Division: Global News
Work Status: Part-time-Temporary
About the Role
Global Edmonton’s News Department is currently seeking a part time Community Reporter. This is a term position to cover a maternity leave. This position is part of the Global News team which produces local newscasts 7 – days a week. This position reports directly to the Director, Community Promotions & Sales Integrations.
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Daily reporting of Community Events and journalism related to commercial partners as approved by the News department
- Create relationships with Community organizations
- Generate original and relative Community focused story ideas
- Assist Sales with content brainstorming and execution
- Write, produce and post content with multiple deadlines on a daily basis for television, radio and on-line
- Utilize new technology and social media on a daily basis to provide video, stills and streaming video for online, social media and broadcast
- Occasional live reporting
- Represent Global Edmonton at public functions
- Available to work weekdays, evenings and weekends
- Perform other duties as assigned
What We Need From You:
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Diploma/Degree in Journalism/Broadcasting or equivalent experience
- Experienced journalist capable of reporting and Community Events
- Minimum two years prior reporting/anchoring experience is required
- Strong writing and storytelling skills
- Demonstrate strong news judgment in line with station objectives
- Ability to go live from the field with strong presentation skills and clarity
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to adjust to changing priorities and objectives
- Ability to work independently
- Must demonstrate accountability and teamwork
- Must work well under pressure, possess a desire to be the best, have a positive can-do attitude
- Be able to meet strict deadlines, and work co-operatively with others in a teamwork setting
- Possess a valid driver’s license and clear driving record
- Working knowledge of new media tools and technologies (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc..) and related applications
- Willingness to adapt to rapidly changing technology and workflows as well as show a willingness to learn new online skills in a multi-faceted digital news operation
- Preference will be given to candidates with proven shooting and editing experience.
This is a bargaining unit position of Community Reporter– Group F
How to Apply
Please email your resume and demo reel to Jennifer.Martin@globalnews.ca by Friday June 28, 2019. Please include Community Reporter in the subject line of your e-mail.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.