It’s a great time to join Canada’s powerhouse of news, as we carve a path into a bright new future. Global News provides Canadians from coast to coast a host of news and information – from breaking news in their community to deep engaging content that puts complex world issues in perspective. We leverage the strength of Corus Entertainment Inc., and our powerful combination of media assets positions us as an entertainment destination choice for consumers – a proudly Canadian company that nurtures a diverse range of Canadian voices and choices.
Job ID: 11680
Division: Global BC
Work Status: Part-Time, temporary one-year term
Location: Burnaby, BC
About the Role:
Global BC is looking for a temporary one-year term, Part-Time Time Community Reporter to join the #1 newsroom in Western Canada. This position is part of the Global News team which produces local newscasts 7 days a week. This position reports directly to the Director, Community Promotions & Sales Integrations.
The following is a summary of the primary functions that may be required of this position, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities:
- Daily reporting of Community Events and journalism related to commercial partners as approved by the News department
- Creating relationships with Community organizations
- Generating original and Community related stories
- Assisting Sales/Tempo Department with content brainstorming and execution of that content
- Write, produce and post content with multiple deadlines on a daily basis for television, radio and on-line
- Utilizing technology on a daily basis to provide video, stills and streaming video for online, social media and broadcast
- Regular live reporting
- Representing Global BC at public functions
- Available to work weekdays, evenings, and weekends
- Performing other duties as assigned
What We Need From You:
- Possess a Diploma/Degree in Journalism/Broadcasting or equivalent experience
- Possess a minimum ten years prior reporting/anchoring experience
- Possess experience in reporting of Community Events
- Exhibit strong writing and storytelling skills
- Demonstrate strong news judgment in line with station objectives
- Demonstrate ability to go live from the field with strong presentation skills and clarity
- Exhibit strong problem solving skills and ability to adjust to changing priorities and objectives
- Demonstrate ability to work independently
- Demonstrate accountability and teamwork skills
- Demonstrate ability to work well under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Possess a desire to be the best, have a positive can-do attitude, and work co-operatively with others in a group setting
- Possess a valid driver’s license and clear driving record
- Possess a working knowledge of new media tools and technologies (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.) and related applications
- Willingness to adapt to rapidly changing technology and workflows as well as show a willingness to learn new online skills in a multi-faceted digital news operation
This is a Group 4 position under the current collective agreement.
If you value a workplace that promotes accountability, exemplifies loyalty, never compromises integrity and has a strong social conscience then start your career with us by applying now.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2019.
Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.