Are you creative, dynamic and passionate about our great city and the power of media? Do you like to build new relationships, and support the community? Corus Entertainment has an exciting new opportunity that will inspire you. If you have a passion for excellence, and would like to work with a powerful television brand in a remarkable city, we encourage you to apply.
Community Relations Coordinator/Videographer
Job ID: X050A0GA-A
Division: Global News
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Global News Lethbridge
About the Role
Global Lethbridge is looking for a full-time Community Relations Coordinator/ Videographer. The successful candidate will be required to work a variety of shifts including weekends, early mornings, days and evenings reporting, shooting ENG material, producing local and network online content and acting as the front person for our local community relations initiatives. This position reports directly to the Newsroom Manager and works closely with the Marketing Manager based in Calgary.
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions and does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities for this position:
- Work closely with the promotions and marketing teams in Calgary on several initiatives – including establishing and maintaining community sponsorships (including on-air personality appearances) in Lethbridge, participating in media events, attending luncheons/dinners/events and assisting with news image promotions and marketing campaigns including contests and promotions, community outreach, news events and special features, image campaign and major sponsorships (sports teams, major events)
- Write and voice community calendars highlighting events around Southern Alberta
- Attend community events across Southern Alberta, including on evenings and weekends, posting pictures and details on our social media accounts
- Identify opportunities for Global Lethbridge staff to emcee local events
- General assignment reporting for Global Lethbridge
- All stories filed must be shot, written and edited by the selected candidate each day as this is a videographer role
- Write news copy for on-air and online, including intros, questions, story leads and bumpers
- Initiate and monitor story development, contacts and maintain quality of production.
- Monitor all news sources, including feeds, wires, and social media.
- Chase breaking news stories – including coordination of interviews and facilitating pictures and video for online coverage
- Communicate breaking or changing news situations with online and show producer
- Meet multiple deadlines to provide video, stills, stories, streaming video and other content for online, social media
- Participate in meetings to identify and plan future online and broadcast events
- Display creativity in the use of production graphics and other visual elements
- Perform other duties as required
What We Need From You:
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Proven dedication to community service and the ability to develop relationships with local stakeholders
- Excelling communicator with good interpersonal skills
- Familiarity and ease in using Facebook, Twitter and other forms of social media.
- Degree or diploma in Broadcast Journalism from a recognized institution.
- Proficient knowledge of camera work and how to shoot a story for a newscast
- Experience in storytelling and interviewing
- Experience in marketing and promotions is preferred
- Proven ability to write accurate, concise, creative copy for broadcast and online
- Ability to develop sources, contacts and research original content.
- Willingness and ability to use digital technology and social media to generate content and develop audience interaction.
- Should be familiar with current state of online news reporting and publishing.
- Must have excellent people skills with the ability to work independently, effectively, and cooperatively in a team environment.
- Valid Alberta driver’s license (abstract will be required)
- The successful candidate will be a “plugged-in” multi-tasker with a positive can-do attitude and proven ability to make editorial decisions.
- Preference will be given to applicants who can demonstrate an openness to learning new skills and workflows and clear strategies which will result in the growth of online usage for the Global News network.
- If you value a workplace that promotes accountability, exemplifies loyalty, never compromises integrity and has a strong social conscience then start your career with us by applying now.
This is a Group A position under the current collective agreement.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, January 19, 2018. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Internal candidates must also indicate they are internal in the subject line.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.