It’s a great time to join Canada’s powerhouse of news, as we carve a path into a bright new future. Global News provides Canadians from coast to coast a host of news and information – from breaking news in their community to deep engaging content that puts complex world issues in perspective. We leverage the strength of Corus Entertainment Inc., and our powerful combination of media assets positions us as an entertainment destination choice for consumers – a proudly Canadian company that nurtures a diverse range of Canadian voices and choices.
Job ID: 10648
Division: Global BC, Engineering
Work Status: Full-Time
Location: Burnaby, BC
About the Role
Global BC has an opening for a full-time Broadcast Technologist in the Technical Services department. This position will report to the Manager, News Technology, Global BC and Global Okanagan.
- As a Broadcast Technologist, the following is an outline of some – not all – of the primary functions and responsibilities for this position:
- Inspections, installations, repairs and maintenance of all broadcast-related technical, computer and related equipment as well as mechanical equipment;
- Emergency and routine maintenance on a wide variety of analog and digital studio and newsroom broadcast equipment as well as support for both live and recorded studio productions as well as 24 hour news operations;
- Maintenance of remote studio and traffic and weather camera facilities;
- Maintenance of remote transmitter and satellite receive systems;
- As required, Maintenance of Microwave Vans, Satellite Uplink truck and other mobile equipment
- Field service support for remote location News or other Production events;
- Emergency relief for Studio Operations functions;
- This is a position covered by the current Unifor collective agreement;
- Rotating shift work, including early mornings, evenings and weekends will be involved; Broadcast Technologists provide on-site support on a 24×7 basis as needed;
- As required, support of building systems including power and HVAC systems;
- Perform other duties as required.
What We Need From You:
- The ability to work well with others as well as solo and unsupervised are key abilities to be a success in this position.
- Successful completion of a multi-year year Broadcast Technology / Engineering course at a recognized training facility;
- Additional training or certification in IP systems and network environments are considered an asset.
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on broadcast television experience with both analog and SD/HD digital equipment. This includes UPS systems, Calrec and Yamaha audio consoles, Evertz MVP multi-viewer display systems, Grass Valley Stratus digital newsroom systems, Grass Valley Trinix routing switchers, Ikegami studio cameras, Image Video tally control systems, Mosart control room automation systems, Ross Xpression graphics systems, RTS intercom systems, Snell Kahuna production switchers, Sony EX-350 news field cameras, Telemetrics studio camera robotics systems, WSI TruVu weather systems, fiber transport systems, and digital microwave systems;
- Strong computer skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Windows XP/7/Server 2003/2008 platforms, Microsoft networking and ENPS newsroom editorial systems;
- Must be a strong team player who is eager to embrace new technologies, is self-motivated and has the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 15, 2017. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.