It’s a great time to join Canada’s powerhouse of news, as we carve a path into a bright new future. Global News provides Canadians from coast to coast a host of news and information – from breaking news in their community to deep engaging content that puts complex world issues in perspective. We leverage the strength of Corus Entertainment Inc., and our powerful combination of media assets positions us as an entertainment destination choice for consumers – a proudly Canadian company that nurtures a diverse range of Canadian voices and choices.
Division: Global News, News Gathering
Work Status: Full-time
Location: 81 Barber Greene Road, Toronto, Ontario
About the Role
Global News has an exciting opportunity for an Assignment Coordinator. This position is part of the Global News team which produces local newscasts 7 days a week in Toronto and supports network newsgathering operations. This position reports directly to the Assignment Editor – Toronto. Note this position requires shift work including early mornings, evenings and/or weekends.
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Be the eyes and ears of the newsroom: Identify breaking, emerging and original stories in Southern Ontario, while also monitoring for national and international breaking news
- Monitor scanners, social media, make calls, chase guests for all platforms as required
- Manage and assign reporters and camera crews to ensure stories are covered
- Work with Assignment Editor and Production Coordinator to maximize resources and newsgathering capabilities
- Work with radio and digital partners to streamline chasing and confirming of information
- Develop news sources to quickly confirm and break details
- Work with producers, management to ensure new and emerging details are put into broadcast and online
- Other duties as assigned
What We Need From You:
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Diploma/Degree in Broadcast Production, or equivalent experience
- Five (5) or more years’ experience is required, with a focus around chase producing and assignment
- Strong news judgement including knowledge of Greater Toronto Area, Ontario politics and geography
- Knowledge of field production techniques and standards
- Knowledge of what it takes to put together television, understand what is required for live transmission
- Knowledge of special events planning, an asset
- Ability to work independently
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent worth ethic, self-motivated and driven
- Strong problem solving skills, adjusting to changing priorities and objectives
- Organized, strong multi-tasking abilities and works well under pressure
- Must work well under pressure, possess a desire to be the best, have a positive can-do attitude
- Be able to meet strict deadlines, and work co-operatively with others in a teamwork setting
- Willingness to adapt to rapidly changing technology
- Spoken and written knowledge of French, an asset
- Knowledge of WordPress, as asset
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter, quoting the job title in the subject line to GlobalTorontoCareers@corusent.com by October 6, 2017.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.