Network Reporter / Anchor
Work Status: Full-time
About the Role
Corus Radio Vancouver has an exciting opportunity for a Full Time – News Reporter/Anchor. Reporting to the Manager, News Radio, The successful candidate will be responsible for gathering, researching and writing and presenting news pieces for CKNW-AM and Network Programming. This position is for experienced news talent who thrives under deadline, is a sharp writer and editor, can work both with autonomy and in a team atmosphere.
- Research, gather information, prepare (write and source audio) and deliver/perform newscasts on-air. (In some cases this will include news, weather, sports, business, and traffic information).
- Continually advance all news stories to provide updated information.
- Monitor all news, sports and traffic sources, including talk shows, radio competitors, TV, newspapers, news releases, and on-line sources to ensure no developments are being missed.
- Establish and grow contacts with key local media sources (politicians, police, fire, emergency services, transit, sports organizations etc).
- Record for broadcast and edit for use on-air – interviews with sources.
- Full compliance with station news/information policies such as handling breaking news, Amber Alerts, storm events, etc.
- Full compliance with industry standards such as CBSC, CRTC and RTDNA.
- Work directly with the News and Programming Directors on content and performance.
- An understanding of legal standards, such as defamation, legal disclosure requirements, etc.
- Make guest appearances on talk shows and Global News TV affiliates to add context to stories
- Liaise with Corus newsrooms across the country to help set the day’s agenda
- Update web and social media as needed
- Other duties as assigned
What We Need From You:
- A major market / network quality on-air presentation
- Strong news writing abilities
- Compelling storyteller
- Professional and urgent execution of breaking news
- Ability to generate new stories over telephone
- Ability to work alone and with others to meet strict deadlines
- A high level of initiative and self motivation
- A strong journalism and news background
- Post secondary education
- Intimate understanding and fluency in New Media (Twitter, Facebook, texting, blogs etc.)
- Ability to back time newscast to a specific time, to the second.
- Experience with Burli newsroom operating system considered an asset
- A positive, friendly manner and customer service approach that will enable the successful candidate to deal with challenging situations with empathy and sincerity.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to send a resume and air check by January 19, 2018 to:
Manager, Radio, News
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.