Station Manager/News Director
Job ID: JOB ID 04
Division: News & Information
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Global Edmonton
Global News has an immediate opening for a senior leader at Corus Entertainment based in Edmonton. As Station Manager/News Director, this position will report to the Vice President, News and Information, West and will lead all local news teams for television, radio and online as well as all community efforts in the market. If you have a positive, can-do attitude, a passion for storytelling, and a proven track record of effective leadership in a major market television newsroom, then the most innovative news organization in Canada wants to hear from you!
About the Role
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Responsible for day to day operation of the Newsroom including Developing and executing local news strategies on all platforms
- Define and establish measurable strategic news objectives and constantly monitor progress towards achieving these goals.
- Analyze market research in News/Sports/Entertainment and implement ways to increase viewing and listening audiences.
- Manage and develop workflows and employees to ensure the full integration of radio and TV newsrooms.
- Ensure online content is given high priority.
- Establish and maintain effective budgets.
- Manage staff and act decisively when required.
- Evaluate work performance and provide regular feedback to employees for the professional development of staff
- Work with other team members to further develop community and marketing strategies to win and grow both audiences and brand
What We Need From You:
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Must be a high performer able to achieve success in a high stress environment
- An excellent communicator, this people person readily takes on difficult assignments and works well in a team environment.
- Must have a proven track record in large market or national newsrooms and be able to think beyond the traditional method of storytelling and interaction with audiences
- Must have a proven track record of working with community groups and local charities
- Preferred qualifications include a minimum of ten years proven television, radio and digital news experience.
- A working knowledge of how major news organizations are employing a wide range of digital platforms and formats and should be familiar with online news reporting and where it’s headed.
- A working knowledge of new media tools – Twitter, Facebook and YouTube etc – will be a huge asset.
- Experience and understanding of the Edmonton market is an asset
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to Sharon.email@example.com by September 18, 2017. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.