Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day. We have an exciting opportunity for a WordPress Web Developer at our Global News Toronto location.
Web Developer, WordPress
Work Status: Full-Time
Location: 81 Barber Green
About the Role
Come join the Global News team and be on the leading edge of fast-paced development in the news industry as we take Canada’s fastest growing news site Globalnews.ca to the next level. Experience the day-to-day energy and make a real difference in one of Canada’s leading newsrooms. Be present as news breaks, writing code for the day’s headlines, and taking a step back to solve real-world journalistic challenges.
A successful applicant will be responsible for:
- Feature development, bug fixing, and optimization of our current web properties.
- Creating future proof solutions to problems faced by the development, product, and content management teams.
- Debugging code written by other developers.
- Provide effort and time estimates for assigned work.
- Execute project deliverables within effort and elapsed time estimates.
- Building workable prototypes based on conversations with stakeholders.
- Comparing emerging technologies against business needs.
- Participating in regular code reviews, and help formulate and ensure adherence to both industry and best practices and guidelines.
- Regularly collaborating with members of different disciplines across teams.
What We Need From You:
- 5+ years of professional software development experience with proven competency in web applications.
- Experience with WordPress or WordPress VIP a very strong asset.
- Experience following UX/UI best practices.
- Experience with SEO, SEM and Google Analytics concepts and techniques.
- Experience working in a formal software development environment.
- Experience with front-end frameworks like bootstrap and libraries like angular.js, underscore.js an asset.
- Solid understanding architecting and building websites with multiple data sources.
- Experience working with public facing, high-availability, mission-critical applications.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Post secondary degree in Computer Science, Design, and Multimedia or demonstrated industry hands on experience.
- Passion for news and online media is an asset.
- Expertise with development languages, tools and frameworks including:
- Git/SVN Version Controls
- Web Accessibility Standards
- Responsive Web Design Principles
- Proficient knowledge of:
- SCRUM (Agile Practices)
- Software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Object-Oriented Analysis and Design (OOAD)
- Working knowledge in the following areas are a definite asset:
- Guided search technologies
- Entity Framework
- Video streaming + video on demand
- Ad Integration (DFP, GPT)
- Metrics (Omniture/Krux)
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30, 2016 and include the title in the subject line of your email.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.