Do you think outside-the-box and are you able to present political and other stories in compelling ways to viewers, listeners and readers? Do you already have an impressive Rolodex of contacts that you can build on to generate original, contextual stories that differentiates our journalism from the competition? If so, Corus Entertainment has an exciting opportunity for a seasoned Senior Reporter in our prestigious Parliament Hill bureau. If you have a passion for storytelling, a track record of excellence, a strong work ethic as well as an amazing attitude, we definitely want to hear from you!
Job id: H00010268 – Job ID – Grade 07
Job title: Sr. Reporter
Work Status: full-time permanent
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
About the Role
Reporting to the Ottawa Bureau Chief, the successful candidate will be responsible for originating and producing national and international stories for our various services, including Global News, Globalnews.ca and Corus Radio. This reporter will be comfortable engaging with politicians of all stripes and have a proven determination to root out interesting stories for discerning audiences. While this position is based in Ottawa, extensive worldwide travel comes with this opportunity. So do long hours, as well as shift and weekend work on occasion.
- Report, write and produce engaging television reports for viewers on complex subjects.
- Report, write and produce succinct yet compelling reports for our Corus Radio stations.
- Report and write engaging copy for our popular Globalnews.ca website.
- Conduct live or recorded interviews, de-briefs and analysis for both radio and television.
- Develop and maintain a wide range of reliable sources to aid in creating original, investigative and exclusive content.
- Develop and engage audiences through various social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Responsible for generating quality story ideas on a daily basis.
What We Need From You:
- College or university degree (or equivalent experience), preferably in journalism.
- 8 years’ experience reporting in broadcast news, and in a digital newsroom environment.
- A passion for politics and Parliament Hill. You wake up in the middle of the night with good ideas!
- An ability to converse in French and a willingness to expand those language skills.
- An ability and willingness to travel.
- Excellent writing and production abilities.
- Working knowledge of the WordPress CMS.
- Diverse content experience across multiple verticals and formats, including digital video, text articles, blogs, social media tools, and digital photos.
- A strong social media presence.
- Working knowledge of Canadian Press style.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- A deep knowledge of current events and a passion for news.
Critical Character Traits Needed to Succeed:
- A positive attitude, a love for collaboration and a team player.
- An ability to work in a rapidly changing, dynamic environment.
- A motivated, self-starter who can work independently or with a group.
- A results-oriented professional who works calmly in a deadline-oriented environment.
- A willingness to innovate, explore new ideas and acquire new skills.
- A driven, determined professional who has laser-like attention to detail.
- A proven commitment to excellence.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 5, 2017. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
June is Pride Month, a time to celebrate the people in our LGBTQ community here at Corus and in all the communities in which we work every day.
Everyone has a need and a right to be embraced as the unique individuals that they are. This is critical to personal well-being. And at Corus, supporting this need is core to our values.