It’s a great time to join Canada’s powerhouse of news, as we carve a path into a bright new future. Global News provides Canadians from coast to coast a host of news and information – from breaking news in their community to deep engaging content that puts complex world issues in perspective. We leverage the strength of Corus Entertainment Inc., and our powerful combination of media assets positions us as an entertainment destination choice for consumers – a proudly Canadian company that nurtures a diverse range of Canadian voices and choices.
Part-Time Producer (3 Month Contract)
Job ID: 10445
Division: Global BC
Work Status: Part-Time
Location: Burnaby, BC
About the Role
Global BC is looking for a Part-Time News Producer to join the #1 newsroom in Western Canada. Reporting to the Executive Producer, this position will include shift work, including early mornings, evenings and regular weekends. This is a Group 4 position under the current collective agreement.
We are looking for an innovative thinker with proven production skills and the desire to be a team leader in the Global BC newsroom.
As a Producer, the following is an outline of some but not all of the primary functions and responsibilities for this position:
- Recognizing, chasing and delivering news content to all platforms;
- Writing and vetting compelling, accurate news copy, including story leads, bumpers and promos;
- Maintaining quality control of on-air content, including news ticker;
- Working with and supervising writing staff;
- Developing news rundowns;
- Developing creative ways to deliver news content;
- Assignment of stories, cameras and reporters, in liaison with the news desk;
- Liaising with the Global BC newsroom for breaking and developing news;
- Order/build full frame graphics;
- Create news content using desktop editing systems;
- Monitoring all news sources, including feeds, wires and social media;
- Maintaining Global News’ high production standards;
- Other duties as required;
- Position involves regular early mornings. It may also include a variety of other shifts, including overnights or weekends.
What We Need From You:
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Post-Secondary Degree, diploma or equivalent experience in television broadcasting;
- Minimum of 4 years TV news production experience;
- At least 2 years of control room experience with proven ability to make fast decisions in a control room environment;
- Working knowledge of ENPS, Mosart and Xpression news production systems;
- Working knowledge of desktop editing, using Stratus/Edius;
- Must have proven strong editorial news judgment, with solid research abilities;
- Strong news writing skills;
- Ability to help develop and train others in writing skills;
- Proven ability to multitask working quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines;
- Proven skills in developing rundowns and program production;
- Demonstrated skills in developing rundowns and program production;
- Demonstrated skills working with graphics and other production elements;
- Familiarity with online content production; writing for the web, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites;
- Willingness to adapt to rapidly changing technology and workflows, as well as learn new skills in a multi-faceted digital news operation;
- Should be familiar with current state of online news reporting and where it’s headed;
- Experience in updating online and broadcast content with a content management system, an asset;
- Must have excellent people skills with the ability to work independently, effectively, and cooperatively in a team environment;
- Strong and proven leadership skills a must.
This is a Group 4 position under the current collective agreement.
If you value a workplace that promotes accountability, exemplifies loyalty, never compromises integrity and has a strong social conscience then start your career with us by applying now.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to GlobalBC.Careers@corusent.com by September 20, 2017. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.