Are you creative, dynamic and passionate about News? Do you like to think outside of the box and find new ways to achieve your goals? Corus Entertainment has an exciting new opportunity. If you have a passion for excellence, and would like to work with a team of talented journalists, we encourage you to apply.
Job ID: CKND1708-01
Division: Winnipeg / News
Work Status: Full-time
Location: Winnipeg, MB
About the Role
Reporting to the News Director, you will be a member of the Global News team which produces local newscasts 7-days a week and provides a continuous flow of content to GlobalNews.ca.
As an Online Producer, the following is an outline of some but not all of the primary functions and responsibilities for this position:
- Work with news producers, reporters and assignment desk to coordinate broadcast and online news coverage for Global News – Winnipeg;
- Provide digital journalism support, leadership, motivation, and training for all newsroom personnel;
- Assist in deciding proper story treatment for local Online content;
- Work with assignment desk and senior editorial staff to determine story selection;
- Ensure timely posting of breaking local news;
- Update news information on all digital platforms and facilitate distribution to various external partners as needed;
- Coordinate special projects with various station departments;
- Maintain strong social media presence for breaking and in-depth news on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat;
- Monitor and track progress of ongoing story assignments;
- Be an active part of the larger globalnews.ca and Global News teams;
- Conduct troubleshooting and maintain editorial standards on all digital platforms;
- Watch news feeds/wire services and write news copy, newsbreaks and news updates GlobalNews.ca/Winnipeg and the family of globalnews.ca web sites;
- Upload ENG visuals, stories, segments and other content to the website;
- Facilitate live streaming of news events;
- Perform other duties as required.
- This is a bargaining unit position of Online Producer – Group 4
What We Need From You:
- A degree or diploma in a recognized Journalism program;
- Experience working and multitasking in a high-pressure news environment;
- Strong editorial skills and sharp news judgment;
- Strong news writing skills are a must;
- Ability to respond quickly to breaking news events;
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills; strong computer skills; solid knowledge of basic HTML and Adobe Photoshop;
- Social media savvy is a must: ability to use Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and location-based social media is essential;
- Excellent people skills and ability to work in both a team environment and solo when necessary;
- A passion for, and in-depth knowledge of, news and current affairs, with particular emphasis on Manitoba;
- Familiarity with news websites and experience with editing tools and content management systems would be assets.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 6, 2017. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.