Are you creative, dynamic and passionate about quality journalism? Globalnews.ca has an exciting new opportunity that will add to our growing national online team. If you are a stickler for accuracy with a passion for excellence, we encourage you to apply.
National Online Journalist – Copy Editor
Job ID: National Online Journalist – Copy Editor
Division: News Online
Work Status: Permanent, full-time
About the Role
Reporting to the Managing Editor — Social Media and Distribution, you will develop and execute the vision and editorial strategy for globalnews.ca, with the goal of creating compelling, impactful, enterprise and original investigative journalism content. You will work with a team of journalists and assist them in the editing of high-quality web, broadcast and multi-platform content including, but not limited to, text, video, and interactive digital journalism. As the National Online Journalist – Copy Editor, you shape digital content and makes sure it’s ready to be seen by our audience. While juggling multiple priorities and numerous tasks, you’ll work quickly and efficiently. You’re a newshound with eagle eyes, dogged determination and the memory of an elephant. Typos are the sworn enemy.
You will contribute original multi-platform content that will achieve or exceed traffic goals, increasing user engagement, and building relationships with a variety of key internal stakeholders. This permanent position will be based at 81 Barber Greene Rd. in Toronto.
- Edit digital content for spelling, grammar, syntax and style.
- Craft SEO-friendly headlines and add other SEO elements
- Help source and select eye-catching visuals to help tell the story
- Publish content to WordPress and share on social media channels as needed
What We Need From You:
- Degree or diploma in journalism or a related field
- At least five years of experience working in an online newsroom
- Experience handling commentary and analytical journalism
- Strong knowledge of libel law and other legal issues
- Expert knowledge of CP Style
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Very strong grasp of WordPress VIP and familiarity with other content management systems
- Strong news judgment
- Thorough understanding of SEO
If You Have the Following….We Want to Hear From You!
- Passion for multi-platform journalism.
- You wake up in the middle of the night with great ideas.
- A positive attitude, a love for collaboration and a team player.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing, dynamic environment.
- Motivated, self-starter, independent, results oriented and professional.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and to prioritize effectively.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to innovate, explore new ideas and acquire new skills.
- Drive, determination, attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to GlobalTorontoCareers@corusent.com by November 13, 2017. Please clearly identify the Job Title/Job ID in the subject line. Applications that do not reference the Job Title/Job ID in the subject line will not be considered.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.