Are you creative, dynamic and passionate about News? Do you like to think outside of the box and find new ways to achieve your goals? Corus Entertainment has an exciting new opportunity that will. If you have a passion for excellence, and would like to work with a team of talented journalist, we encourage you to apply.
Division: 4625 – Global Saskatoon
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Global Saskatoon
About the Role
This position is part of Global News team which produces local newscasts seven days a week. This position reports directly to the News Director – Lisa Ford.
This is a bargaining unit position of Assignment Editor – Group 4
Global News is seeking an Assignment Editor to join our team. The successful candidate for this position will be a dedicated and proven journalist. A strong news sense and good organizational skills are required. You must be up to the challenge of leading a team of committed and competitive minded people and be willing to lead by example. A Can-do attitude is a must. This is a key position in a highly motivated newsroom and there is great room for personal growth.
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Long term planning of editorial content and editorial strategies
- Develop original and creative story ideas
- Act as a resource for reporters
- Vet scripts ensuring accuracy, fairness and good story telling
- Keep track of current events and breaking news
- Assign and coordinate camera and reporters as needed
- Communicate with control room to provide a clear picture of the technical needs for each newscast
- Assign live truck resources as needed
- Communicate with other affiliates and Global National to support the network on stories of regional / national interest
- Work with online producers to ensure seamless transition of content across all platforms including Social Media
What We Need From You:
- Excellent News writing skills with a high degree of competence and clarity
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to adapt in a rapidly changing media and technology landscape
- Ability to lead a competitive and aggressive newsroom
- Desire to be the best and to motivate those you work with
- Desire to always push forward and try new things
- Ability to write/produce web, text and social-media versions of news stories
- Strong research skills
- Ability to handle the demands and pressure of multiple, daily online and broadcast deadlines
- Able to adapt in a rapidly changing media and technology landscape.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to Sherri.Vanderveen@globalnews.ca by December 15, 2017.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.