It’s a great time to join Canada’s powerhouse of news, as we carve a path into a bright new future. Global News provides Canadians from coast to coast a host of news and information – from breaking news in their community to deep engaging content that puts complex world issues in perspective. We leverage the strength of Corus Entertainment Inc., and our powerful combination of media assets positions us as an entertainment destination choice for consumers – a proudly Canadian company that nurtures a diverse range of Canadian voices and choices.
Anchor (Full-time Permanent)
Job ID: 9782
Division: Global BC
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Burnaby, BC
About the Role
Global BC is looking for a Full Time News Anchor to join the #1 newsroom in Western Canada. Reporting to the News Director, this position will include early morning shifts and may include evenings and regular weekends. This is a Group 5 position under the current collective agreement.
As a News Anchor, the following is an outline of some but not all of the primary functions and responsibilities for this position:
- Anchor Global BC’s market leading Weekday Morning Newscast, as well as other newscasts on Global BC and BC1, as required;
- Write news copy for on-air and online, including newsbreaks, story leads and bumpers for news programs;
- General assignment reporting, segment producing and live hits as required for Global BC and BC1;
- Initiate and monitor story development, and maintain quality of production;
- Monitor all news sources, including feeds, wires and social media;
- Chase breaking news stories – including coordination of live coverage and setting up interviews for broadcast;
- Facilitating pictures and video for online coverage;
- Communicate breaking or changing news situations with online and other show producers and anchors;
- Assist in the coordination of reporters, editors and cameras when necessary;
- This position will contribute content for the Global BC website.
What We Need From You:
- Degree or diploma in Broadcast Journalism from a recognized institution;
- At least 5 years’ experience anchoring and reporting for a newscast in a major market;
- Experience anchoring live breaking news and performing live hits as a reporter and/or anchor;
- Proven ability to write accurate, concise, creative broadcast copy and put together news line ups;
- Experience meeting multiple deadlines for broadcast and online;
- Ability to develop sources, contacts and research original stories;
- Willingness to adapt to rapidly changing technology and new online skills in a multi-faceted digital news operation;
- Should be familiar with current state of online news reporting and publishing;
- Familiarity and ease in using Facebook, Twitter and other forms of social media;
- Must have excellent people skills with the ability to work independently, effectively and cooperatively in a team environment;
- Represent the company at various community and charity events.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by January 6, 2017.
Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.