Manager, Digital Online – Ontario
Job ID: NMMJ27J
Division: News & Information
Work Status: Full Time
Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment, has an exciting management opportunity available on its award-winning digital news team in Ontario. The successful candidate will be required to work primarily weekdays, with weekend and evening work as required by our dynamic news environment. Some travel to Corus Radio and Global News locations throughout Ontario is required as part of this position. If you have a positive, can-do attitude, a passion for storytelling, and a proven track record of effective leadership in digital news, then the most innovative news organization in Canada wants to hear from you!
About the Role
Working closely with the News leadership teams in Toronto, Hamilton, Guelph, London, Ottawa, Kingston, and Peterborough, this position reports into the National Director, Online News Content and will work closely with the Station Managers/News Directors in those regions.
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Lead a team of online journalists and digital content coordinators at Global Toronto, AM640, CHML Hamilton, Global Peterborough, Global Kingston, AM980 London, and 1460 CJOY in Guelph.
- Manage the daily editorial assignment, production, and promotion of compelling content for globalnews.ca.
- Oversee the online work of anchors, producers, journalists, VJs and reporters in those regions.
- Communicate, teach, track and model Global News’ best practices in digital journalism.
- Champion online coverage at meetings and throughout the day to ensure digital platforms are prioritized. Respond to top-performing content to help inform editorial decisions for all publishing platforms.
- Develop and execute strategies to grow and engage our audience on globalnews.ca and social media. Monitor real-time site performance and work with online staff to optimize content.
- Work with managing editors, news directors and others to implement a flexible workflow that supports multi-platform content production.
- Work with managing editors and administrative support staff to schedule online resources, ensuring region-wide coverage seven days a week.
- Maintain regular contact with fellow Global News digital leaders and communicate key changes and improvements to staff and managers.
- Participate in planning of special news, community and marketing events and projects. Support marketing with online and social efforts as required.
- Ensure all online stories are vetted for content, grammar and style. Work with radio and television leaders to improve overall writing skills of everyone filing online.
- Ensure all local, wire, and trending content is posted and promoted in a timely fashion.
- Oversee access to official accounts on social networks. Ensure content is promoted optimally.
- Oversee viewer relations on social media. Resolve and respond to website user complaints and feedback.
- Support advertising and sponsorship efforts related to monetization of online content.
- Manage operational requirements pertaining to performance, labour relations, scheduling and timesheets, including strict adherence to the Global News Journalistic Principles and Practices.
- Other duties as required.
What We Need From You:
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Degree or diploma in journalism, communications or a related field from a recognized institution
- A minimum of 5 years experience in a major market digital newsroom environment
- Proven track record in developing engaging online editorial content
- Broadcast experience is an asset
- Comprehensive understanding and extensive experience with WordPress and social media including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram
- Demonstrated experience managing, supervising or leading a team is required
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently, effectively, and cooperatively to tight deadlines in a complex team environment
- Possess excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to make independent decisions in pressure situations
- An amazing attitude that will engage and motivate teams by living into the Corus values to Win Together, Make it Happen, Learn Every Day, Think Beyond and Show We Care
- A valid driver’s licence
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to GlobalTorontoCareers@corusent.com by November 9, 2017. Please clearly identify the Job Title and Job ID in the subject line.
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before they can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. They must also indicate they are internal in the subject line. Please refer to the Recruitment Policy for more information.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.